Electrical Safety

What is an Electrical Safety Certificate?

Since the 1985 Landlords & Tenants Act landlords are required to that the rented accommodation is electrically safe at the beginning and throughout the tenancy.

This does not mean that a Electrical Safety Certificate is carried out. However, this is the best way for a qualified person to assess the property. These typically last 5 years, with any major change being supported by its own certificate.

A landlord who is electrically competent may decide to instead visibly check their own property.

How do I get an Electrical Safety Certificate?

We can instruct one of our qualified trusted contractors to carry this out, the price varies depending on house size but is typically between £100-199 inc vat.

They would then attend the property and carryout the required tests and assessments.

What do they look for?

The assessor would look and test for:

• Damaged – Sockets, Switches, Light Fittings
• Damaged – Cables
• Correct earthing arrangements
• Satisfactory bonding for gas & water pipes
• Overloading
• Correct gauge wiring used
• Signs of scorching due to overloading
• Signs of overheating electrical equipment
• Test circuits for issues like breaks in cables or overloading
• Identify any potential fire risks from electrical appliances or installations

What is there is a problem?

If there is a problem the assessor would make the property safe and advise of the cost of remedials to rectify the problem. Once the works are carried out the assessor would then issue the certificate showing this.

What if I don’t carry out an Electrical Safety Certificate?

Whilst there is no legal duty to carry out Electrical Safety Certificates, if your tenant was to be injured or killed by faulty electrics then the HSE would look for evidence of the property being inspected and safe, the best way of doing this is to have an Electrical Safety Certificate, if they deemed the property to be unsafe you would be liable for prosecution under the Landlords & Tenants Act 1985.


For more information see: